Sunday 11 October 2015

WHAT TO STUDY


        Public Relations is anything you want it to be


Time does fly especially if you having fun, just a few years ago around this time (October) I was preparing for my exam, my grade 12 exams. The only vision or dream I had was to pass my grade 12, with good grades-obviously. The only problem is that I did not know what to study. My parents wanted something they were familiar with; that is to study Medicine or any overrated courses which are well known. My marks were not so good to qualify me to study Medicine. Therefore, I went to upgrade my marks at star school for one year. During that year I had too much time on my hands, I was researching on what I can study the year after when I am done upgrading my marks. I first had to do introspection and get to know myself. The nice thing about myself is that I was already an obsessive user of the internet. I loved social media and I knew just how to get around it. I would google and search for things related to the things I love. One random day I came across a profession called Public Relation (my life changed). I did more research. Then my mind was made up, I decided to apply at the University of Johannesburg, to my surprise I was accepted. "The storm was coming, questions after another from my parents were asked and I did not have the right answers because (I am the first generation in my family to go at a higher institution) Public Relation is such a broad Profession and how can you really explain it to someone who has never even heard about PR.

What is Public Relations?


Public Relation is about your story and the chance to tell it. It’s about relationships with real people, your customers who would embrace your story if it’s made for them. It’s about building the brand of an organisation. It is about making sure that you fix whatever that is broken. Why not watch the series "Scandal" and you will know what I am talking about. Most brands (people or companies) start to understand PR when their reputation is at risk. When your company is at risk, you can’t compete. You can’t sell and you can’t pay your bills. That is where you will need a PR strategy to help solve the problem, by communicating with the stakeholders and through advertising. Once a company is credible in the eyes of the public nothing can go wrong.

What are the practical’s done in public relations


Firstly one should know that there are 5 modules a student chooses to take when he or she wants to study Public Relations at the University of Johannesburg. Their modules are as follows: media, public relations, communication, writing for public relations and Contextual studies. But your major subjects are only 3, which are: Public Relations, Communication and Media. Therefore, I will try and explain module by module. Firstly, PR Module for your practical’s you are given an assignment where one needs to carry out a PR crisis management plan; PRP solves problems in any organisation. Secondly, Communication. Every organisation needs some type of communication to be productive, imagine you are an employee in a big organisation of 5000 workers, a public relations practitioner will then act as the bridge between employees and employers. They take whatever information is given from the high top management to channel it to the low level to the employees. As a public Relations Practitioner, you need to know different types of mediums in order to be able to deliver the message to the right target audience. Lastly but not least, Media. Media is one of my favourite Module and have to commend my lecture for the amazing work she does. Follow her on twitter @CatwomanZA. A lot is being done in media. We live in a digital world and we only spend lesser time reading online. Therefore, I will be brief as possible to explain. In Media practical’s you learn to create your own blog, you learn Search Engine Optimization, digital marketing, how to write press releases, backgrounders the list goes on and on.

Where can you work?


“Public Relation” is curious to know how every public is responding to an organisation. It is always wise to keep track of what is said about the company you represent as a public relations practitioner; It is your job to help build the reputation of the organisation by continuously be on top of your game, that is having a two-way communication with your stakeholders if anything bad or god via social networks happens you are required to reply as soon as possible and control the situation. You need to be presentable at all times because you are representing someone or an organisation. Everyone needs a Public Relations Practitioner. Most of the best companies have a PR departments because it is essential to have.

Public relations jobs: Ambassador, PR Manger, Social Media Manger, Public Relations Practitioner, Event coordinator, Marketing Coordinator and Marketing assistant. the list goes on and on. it is said that from 2012 to 2020 PR job opportunity will increase. Therefore, why not start now and take advantage of PR.

List of some of best Public Relations agencies in South Africa

·         FleishmanHillard
·         PR Worx
·         Epic Communications 
·         Livewired Public 
·         Meropa Communications
·         Ogilvy Public Relations

Follow me on twitter; @N_Kwanele


No comments:

Post a Comment